Looking for an interesting speaker for your group’s next meeting or event?
- book or other retail stores
- writing & publishing conferences
- book fairs & festivals
- historical societies
- K-12 classrooms
See what some of my past speaking hosts have to say about my presentations.
- Narrated digital slide presentations
- Book signings
- Panel discussions
- Industry Roundtables
- Virtual visits via Skype
on the following topics:
- My book subjects
- Writing, Authors and Publishing
- Marketing, Promotion & Communications
- Custom presentations for classrooms and business
- History: Women Warriors
On my books’ topics, I appear at bookstores, gift shops, fairs and festivals, libraries, schools, civic group meetings, historical societies, active adult communities and retirement villages, special events and other gatherings. On writing, publishing and marketing topics, I speak to business organizations, writers’ groups, publishing organizations, and at expos, festivals and conferences.
A selection of my stock presentations is listed below, but don’t hesitate to call if you’d like me to speak on something related. I’m happy to customize presentations to your specific needs.
For venues providing electricity and an adequately darkened room, I speak in accompaniment to digital slide presentations. For outdoor events, I speak extemporaneously using props. I offer my books for sale and signing following relevant presentations.
- ONE-HOUR SLIDE PRESENTATION
- – 45-minute slide talk begins with a brief reading from my book, and contains supplemental information about the flood of 1955 and historical and contemporary photos, some of which don’t appear in the book. The slide show is followed by a 15-minute audience Q&A session, making this an ideal one-hour presentation for all ages. Presentations are customized to your locale.
- $200 within 50 miles of Ferndale, PA (18921). Add $10 travel expenses for each add’l 50 miles or any increment thereof.
(Non-profit groups: Call to inquire about fee discount. Proof of non-profit status required.)
- 45-MINUTE EXTEMPORANEOUS TALK – I do a brief reading from my book, set up the context of conditions that made the 1955 flood so deadly in the Delaware River Watershed, describe highlights of and dispel myths about this record-setting weather disaster. I bring several display boards of historical photos (some of which do not appear in the book) and a few images from contemporary floods on the Delaware River. I also share copies of historical newspapers from the time among audience members, and answers any of their questions. This presentation is appropriate for all ages.
Fee: $150 within 50 miles of Ferndale, PA (18921). Add $10 travel expenses for each add’l 50 miles or any increment thereof. (Non-profit groups: Call to inquire about fee discount. Proof of non-profit status required.)
- HALF-HOUR SLIDE PRESENTATION – (Indoors only) 20-minute slide talk contains supplemental information about the joys and challenges of rescuing or adopting and living with disabled pets. The slide show is followed by a 10-minute audience Q&A session, making this an ideal half-hour presentation for all ages. Within 100 miles of Doylestown, PA, this presentation is accompanied by bonus 15-minute visit from Idgie, my cat who was born without eyes, a condition called anophthalmia.
Fee: $100 within 50 miles of Ferndale, PA (18921). Add $10 travel expenses for each add’l 50 miles or any increment thereof. (Non-profit groups: Call to inquire about fee discount. Proof of non-profit status required.)
- HALF-HOUR EXTEMPORANEOUS TALK – 20-minute talk begins with a brief reading from the book, then discusses the joys and challenges of rescuing and living with disabled pets. Followed by a 10-minute audience Q&A session, making this an ideal half-hour presentation for all ages. Within 100 miles of Doylestown, PA, this presentation is accompanied by a bonus 15-minute visit from Idgie, my cat who was born without eyes, a condition called anophthalmia.
Fee: $75 within 50 miles of Ferndale, PA (18921). Add $10 travel expenses for each add’l 50 miles or any increment thereof. (Non-profit groups: Call to inquire about fee discount. Proof of non-profit status required.)
ONE-HOUR SLIDE PRESENTATIONS – I speak on a constantly evolving set of topics related to freelance writing, book authorship and publishing, and marketing for authors, publishers, small and micro-businesses. All are 45-minute slide talks followed by a 15-minute audience Q&A session, making these ideal one-hour presentations for writers’ groups, writing conferences, publishing groups and conferences, small business support and networking groups, chambers of commerce, etc. Some current topics include:
- Digging Up The Past: Researching Historical Nonfiction & Novels
- Gotta Have It! Creating Sell-Worthy Queries
- I Finally Finished My Book! Now What?
- Your Book’s Website – Separate or Connected?
- Exploring the Amazon – Optimizing Your Author Central Presence
- Online Newsrooms: Why You Need One, How To Build It Right
- Takin’ It To The Tweeps: Twitter for Authors
- Getting Published Ain’t For Sissies: Kick-Butt Promotion for Authors
- What Is A Book Publisher, and Should I Become One?
- Takin’ It To The Tweeps: Twitter for Publishers
- Digility: Digital Agility for Independent Publishers – Optimizing Your Workflow for the Digital Age
- Lifting the Veil: Marketing in the 21st Century
- Online Newsrooms: Why Your Business Needs One, How To Build It Right
- Takin’ It To The Tweeps: Twitter for Small Businesses
- Takin’ It To The Tweeps: Twitter for Politicians & Government Officials
- Art Marketing 101 – Reaching and Motivating Buyers Effectively in the 21st Century
- Idealistic Pragmatists: Marketing to Boomers
- Voices In The Dark: Social Media In Emergency Management
Please call or email for details of these presentations.
- Secondary/Higher Education
- New World Warriors: Native American women warriors from 1540 to the American Revolution
- Pirates, Privateers and Patriots: We Were Women, Too
- Women Warriors of the Wild West: American Indians, Soldiers and Hellraisers on the Frontier
- Uncivil Servants: Women Soldiers, Spies and Sailors in the American Civil War
- Over There: Women Warriors in the Two World Wars
These are “Brown Bag Lunch” presentations, 45 minutes long followed by a 10-minute Q&A session, to fit nicely into a standard lunch hour. Please inquire about speaking fee.
Speaker’s requirements for digital slide show:
I will bring:
- laptop computer
- digital projector
- small projection screen, if needed
- 3-prong power strip
Host to provide:
- a small table or cart at least 30 in. square, positioned 10-15 feet from projection surface (a blank, light-colored wall will do just fine)
- a 3-prong, grounded extension cord to reach the table or cart
- a room large enough to seat the group comfortably for an hour, which can be suitably darkened for a slide show
- microphone and sound system for groups larger than 50 people. I prefer a wireless mic but can work with a wired version.
- Please let me know if your venue has wi-fi Internet access that I can use, as this will affect the equipment I choose to bring for my presentation. Thanks.
- FOR ADULTS: I teach a variety of writing, book publishing and marketing classes for adult students that range from single-night seminars to 8-week, in-depth workshops. I teach these classes through local extended learning and community evening schools. Occasionally, I offer weekend intensive workshop retreats for serious writers and authors.
- FOR STUDENTS GRADES 3-12: I’m available in-person or via Skype for one-period classes on writing, researching and history, or for special multi-period classes to fit into any concentrated units your classes may be working on. I’m happy to discuss with you the development of a special course or seminar for your classroom, office or special interest group. Give me a call at 610-847-2456 or use the contact form to discuss your needs and budget.
- Learn more on my Courses page.